Exotic pet medicine can be a challenging yet rewarding field of veterinary medicine. I-20 Animal Medical Center is here to meet your exotic pet needs.
Dr. Lindsay Robinson has specialized training in Avian and Exotic Animal Medicine and are available for medical and basic husbandry needs. Prevention is the best medicine, so call today to make an appointment for your exotic pet’s annual wellness exam.
We encourage our exotic pet owners to educate themselves on their specific pets’ needs. We are here to provide you with some of that information and hopefully answer some of your questions.
Education Articles on Exotic Care
- Ferret Husbandry Ferrets are engaging rambunctious four-legged exotic pets. Dr. Robinson discusses nutrition, husbandry and other tips about keeping your ferret healthy.
- Rabbit Husbandry There is nothing sweeter than fuzzy bunny kisses to warm your heart. Dr. Robinson writes about diet, housing, exercise and tips for handling rabbits- all the information you need before buying, or just keeping your rabbit healthy.
- Parrot Health Information If your bird is on a healthy diet and the environment is kept ideal, then the last part of keeping up with your bird’s general health is to know what a healthy and an unhealthy bird looks like, and to make sure your bird gets routine veterinary visits.
- Healthy Diet Essentials for Parrots Feeding a proper, well balanced diet is one of the single most important parts of keeping your parrot healthy.
- Making Your Home BIRD-SAFE There are a few things that you have to alter in your house before adding a bird to your family. Some of the following are common household items or practices that may pose a risk for your bird.
- Training Your Parrot There are some commands that every bird should learn as part of a basic obedience home course.
- Feather Destructive Behavior in Birds Many bird patients have chronic feather destructive behavior – either they chew the shafts of their feathers off or they pluck the feathers out.
- Importance of Proper Lighting For Birds Lighting plays a big role in the behaviors and overall health of birds. Sleep cycles, feather quality, moods, and reproductive hormones are all dictated by photoperiods and light cycles.
- Cages & Perches For Birds Caging is important for our pet birds, because it is where most of them will spend the majority of their day.
- Bird Toys Birds are highly intelligent and they benefit from a variety of toys
- Birds- Anatomy and Physiology Review A quick look at common terms related to birds and some unique anatomy and physiology that is important to know if you own birds.
- Gerbil Husbandry Gerbils make good pets because of their small size, easy maintenance and their hardiness.
- Hedgehog Husbandry Hedgehogs are fascinating little creatures with highly developed senses of hearing and smell.
- Hamster Husbandry Hamsters make good pets because of their small size, easy maintenance and ability to be handled.
- Rat Husbandry Rats make excellent pets. They are friendly, clean, and easy to handle once they get used to an owner.
- Guinea Pig Husbandry Guinea pigs make great pets! They are friendly, engaging and are fun to be around.
- Sugar Gliders