What does a Veterinarian do?
Veterinarians are animal doctors who work in a clinic or a hospital for animals. They can also:
- Care for cows and horses and other large animals
- Make sure food from animals, like eggs and milk, are safe
- Work at the zoo taking care of the animals
- Teach in Veterinary schools
Veterinarians go to college and Veterinary medical school to learn how to:
- Find out why animals are sick
- Help animals feel better
- Help keep animals healthy by doing an exam each year
- Perform surgeries on animals
- Perform dental cleaning on animals
- Prescribe medicine for animals
Being a veterinarian is a great job. It is wonderful to work with animals and talk to people on how to take care of their pets.
Who could become a veterinarian?
Loving animals is a great reason to become a veterinarian, but you also should:
- Have patience
- Enjoy math and science
- Enjoy learning
- Work very hard
Because animals cannot talk, a veterinarian also:
- Listens well to people
- Asks questions to find out how the animal is doing
Sometimes being a veterinarian is hard because hurt or very sick pets may not live; it can be sad.
How to start getting ready to become a veterinarian?
- Start early by getting good grades
- Science and math are very important in medicine so learn all you can
- Veterinary school is hard work with a lot of homework so practice good studying
- When you are older, you can volunteer at an animal shelter, Humane Society or animal hospital so you can see what veterinarians do every day