It can be tempting to want to share Thanksgiving treats with our pets, but you should be careful. Here are some tips to keep your animal companion feeling great during the paw-liday:
• Don’t leave wine glasses at snout or tail level. Alcohol can cause severe drops in body temperature, blood pressure and blood sugar. Overactive tails could also knock over glasses.
• A few bits of lean turkey are fine, but turkey skin, gravy and fattier pieces are a no-no for dogs and cats as even small amounts can trigger pancreatitis. Pancreatitis has potentially fatal side effects like dehydration and liver and kidney damage. Small turkey bones can also get lodged in your pet’s gastrointestinal system and cause blockages.
• You already know chocolate is dangerous for pets. But baking chocolate has even higher concentrations of caffeine and theobromine, the two substances in chocolate that are extremely toxic to dogs and cats. Keep nosy snouts out of the kitchen!
• Finally, keep centerpieces and decorations with ribbons, strings, plants and stems out of paw’s reach—cats love to play with these and they can be dangerous if ingested.
Show your pets you’re thankful for them by keeping them safe this Thanksgiving – and have a very happy holiday!